2. Art Improves Academic Achievement
Students involved in the arts have tremendous academic benefits compared to students without exposure to the arts. Art inspires kids to excel in and out of the classroom. It helps students stay in school, increases motivation, improves attitudes and attendance, and improves academic performance.
According to Americans for the Arts, a student involved in the arts is:
- 4x more likely to be recognized for academic achievement.
- 4x more likely to participate in a math or science fair.
- 3x more likely to win an award for school attendance.
- 3x more likely to be elected to class office.
Lower income or socioeconomic students experience even greater benefits from the arts. Low income students highly engaged in the arts are more than twice as likely to graduate compared to their peers with no arts education, and have a 5x lower dropout rate.